Standard Vertical Split System
Air source heat pumps are quickly becoming recognized as the solution for heating our homes and buildings using a endless renewable source while eliminating harmful emissions. The standard vertical air source heat pump is based on the air conditioning technology which has been with us for decades.
The system operates in the reverse mode transferring heat from outside air to the water that circulates through the internal heat distribution system whether it be under floor heating or fan coils or radiators. Generally this technology is very cost effective from an installation viewpoint. Air is an infinitely available heat source compared with geothermal which can be limited by the size of the ground collector array.
This allows air source technology to be installed in almost any location even where ground area may be restricted for geothermal applications. A standard vertical system can be cost effective even compared with conventional alternatives.
ELW12 with Multitower
Premium Horizontal Split System
After installing hundreds of ground source solutions, both vertical & horizontal, offering our customers the maximum efficiencies, and with the development of the horizontal evaporator air source technology we investigated performance in Irish climate in 2009. A one year detailed investigation was independently carried out by the Dundalk Institute of Technology and supported by Enterprise Ireland.
The results over a twelve month period from 2009 to 2010 proved that even during the most severe winter in over forty years in Ireland that impressive seasonal efficiency was achieved when incorporated in an igen complete heating system while at the same time providing a comfortable living temperature. The horizontal evaporator technology offers even benefits standard vertical system:
- Silent operation with modulating fan speed;
- Natural drip off of condensation reducing the need for defrost energy;
- Increased fin spacing allowing greater air flow;
- Increased surface area for greater air volume flow rate;
- Seasonal efficiency equivalent to geothermal system in maritime climate;
- No need for antifreeze in heating system fluid with split system.
Horizontal Split Heat Pump Engine
Ground source heat pump engine
Ground collector array
For Hot Water
- Heat pump can be sized accurately for dhw provision;
- Running of main heat pump not required in summer months prolongs life;
- Can be installed with space heating fossil fuel to recover waste heat;
- Exhaust air can be used as source;
- Additional ventilation feature;
- Low running cost without fossil fuel.
Type Europa 250 DK/DKL, 323 DK and Mini IWP
- Installation in a boiler room;
- Domestic hot water heating using indoor air;
- Ancillary benefits, cooling of larder or wine cellar.
Type 250 DK/DKL, 323 DK and Europa Mini IWP
- Installation in a laundry room;
- Domestic hot water heating using indoor air;
- Additional benefits – laundry can be dried in the installation room; softened water for steam irons.
Type Europa 323 DK / mechanical ventilation as extract air system
- Installation in a hobby room with a heating heat pump;
- Heat recovery from extract air for DHW heating;
- Ancillary benefits, mechanical ventilation (hygienic 1 pipe system, air duct DN 150 up to 20m possible). Extraction of the stale, moist air from wet rooms (bathroom, WC, kitchen). Intake of fresh air through adjustable wall vents into the living space and/or stairwell.
An important part of a heating system which incorporates a heat pump is the interface between the heat pump and the heat distribution. In many cases it is advisable to install a buffer storage tank to ensure the optimum performance & lifespan of the heat pump.
The DHW hot water cylinders are also a critical component in the system to ensure correct heat transfer from the heat pump to the dhw. Typically the coil surface area is considerably larger to allow efficient heat transfer. Alternatively an external plate heat exchanger with a sufficiently large surface area can be used to act as the heat transfer mechanism.
A unifresh tank is another option which acts as a thermal store where the heat is transferred from the stored water to the potable water via large surface area stainless steel corrugated coil.
- Buffers allow storage of heat for space heating. The volume of heat allows the heat pump to have a minimum run time therefore reducing ON/OFF cycles. There can also allow for storage of heat during periods of cheaper electric tariffs making the heat pump even more efficient.
- Unifresh tanks are a thermal store with a large area corrugated coil for instant DHW heating. This eliminates the need for legionella. It can also be used as a combi storage of space heating water and dhw heating.
- DHW cylinders should be specified correctly to ensure proper heat transfer from the heat pump to the potable water. We supply a range of DHW cylinders of various volumes and coil surface areas to facilitate the building demand for dhw and also the heat pump kW load.
Industrial & Commercial
Heat pumps have many applications which are limitless with the correct technology, application and engineering.
High capacity heat pumps can be used to extract energy from waste heat such as underground waste networks in cities and recycle this heat for use in large buildings.In industry there are many manufacturing and chemical processes which have waste heat as a by-product.
High capacity heat pumps have the potential to collect this waste heat and upgrade it to usable temperature for heating applications for example in conjunction with CHP plants.
The Heat Pump Specialists
At igen we are committed to giving value for money without comprising on quality.